Labels

Monday, November 22, 2010

OnStar

It's a bit hard for me to admit this, but there is one radio advertisement that makes me tear up every single time I hear it.

It's the OnStar ad.    OnStar - in-vehicle safety, security and communication

Each OnStar ad starts with audio of a call being routed to OnStar Communications Central from a vehicle which has just been involved in an accident.  OnStar can sense when there has been "air bag deployment" and communicates directly with the occupants of the vehicle (is it just me or does the word "vehicle" stink of rednecks?) to assess the situation and reassure the victims that help, in the form of police, ambulance, fire and first responders, is on the way. 

It's a touching moment when the victim, sometimes stoic, sometimes sobbing in fear or pain, acknowledges and thanks the caring OnStar operator for her concern and help.  It renews my faith in mankind and makes me wish that I, too, had an "OnStar-equipped vehicle" like a Chevy, Buick, Pontiac or other piece of crap American car.

Here on Planet Emmer, we too have our own "first response" team.  I cannot tell you how many times the police have responded to a non-emergency at our home, usually precipitated by a kid dialing 911 when he was angry at me.

Fortunately, the police in our town (I have come to call them "our" cops given the frequency with which they visit us) are big, burly and know how to deal with situations like this.  They sit the kid down, look him squarely in the eye, fondle their guns and hand out a STERN WARNING - that I should stop being the only mom in town who doesn't let her kid do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment