In the wee, small hours of the morning, when I'm tossing and turning (and sending cats flying) while contemplating the futility of life, Spanx and the quest for an honest politician, I torture myself about the failure of my blog to go viral.
I've read a lot about blogging and know that the most successful bloggers have focus. They write about business or music or gardening or witchcraft - anything that is interesting to a discrete group of individuals. Their readers return to the blog day after day to get more of their "fix" of the topic at hand. And their authors publicize their blogs by visiting other forums, related blogs, or ezines on the same topic - and leaving a trail leading back to their own site, like so many breadcrumbs.
The two of you who read me regularly know that there's no rhyme or reason (or purpose or value....) to this blog. So in order to right those wrongs, today I'm going to discuss three popular topics - the workplace, relationships and finances. Today I am a focused triple threat to the blogosphere!
- Do not utter the words "mission statement" in my presence. I will remove your dashboard and summon up your KPIs.
- Lunchtime was designed to regroup and decompress. But if you can simultaneously cook the company books or steal office supplies while shoving a turkey wrap down your throat, so much the better - it's so much more efficient.
- Dress for success; dress "up" for the position you want; and, unlike some of the younger folk - -just get dressed before you come to work in the morning.
- Do unto others - before they do anything untoward towards or onto you. Particularly if they are much bigger than you and have a lifetime membership at Equinox.
- Don't ignore any chance for love. You just never know when that unexpected meeting in the infectious disease holding cell might turn into something meaningful, permanent and catching.
- Never discuss old loves or disgusting habits on a first date. Especially if they are one and the same.
- Watching Donald Trump's "The Apprentice" does not make you a Financial Tycoon anymore than watching Masterpiece Theater makes you British.
- Save money for a rainy day -- but don't deprive yourself. Splurge on some new dental caps or a fresh box of baking soda every now and again.
- Don't feel compelled to leave your children a large nest egg. It's a tough world out there and it's about time they learned it - and what better place to teach this lesson than at the reading of the will, having already exited stage left?
There - bracing myself now for going viral! Into the Infectious Disease holding cell - never know who I'll meet.